Next Chapter

I have been spending some time up near Jacksonville Texas at the Neches River National Wildlife Refuge. For my friends that know me well, they know I have been a FWS Volunteer on and off most of my life. Sadly, having to move off Peaceful Springs Nature Preserve when it became part of the Balcones Canyonlands NWR a few years ago, I moved to east Texas and have been taking care of my mom since.
Funny thing...I didnt know Neches River NWR was near by until one morning while my front yard was flooding and not being able to shut the water off up walked Leo Gustafson the refuge manager. Turns out he lived right down the street and we had met many years ago down at Laguna Atascosa NWR.
So The Refuge System is celebrating 117 years!

"Save the Date - March 14th from 1 - 4pm
The Neches River National Wildlife Refuge has come a very long way and it is the time of year to have an annual meeting at the refuge.  Thus, we invite you all to come to celebrate the National Refuge System's birthday (117 years) and receive a few updates from the Friends of the Neches River National Wildlife Refuge board and Refuge manager (Leo Gustafson).  The event will be on March 14th from 1 - 4 pm meeting at the main entrance of the National Wildlife Refuge.  We will also be honoring Jim Neal for his decades of service to the refuge and in many other areas of nature conservation.  Once we conduct a bit of business we will have time for a few activities: hiking, birding, aquatic sample, and time to enjoy nature at the refuge among friends.
If you have any questions please let us know! We hope to see you all on March 14th!
Jessica Coleman
Secretary, Friends of the Neches River National Wildlife Refuge"

© Karen Kilfeather Photographs


Comments

Popular posts from this blog